Used for roughness surveys, the Bump Integrator (BI) is a Class 3 response-type roughness meter and has been widely implemented over the last few decades. It is a great low cost option for measuring roughness and calculating IRI. A ROMDAS System with a Bump Integrator (BI) requires little-to-no operator interaction and all readings are shown in real-time on the survey computer.
The raw roughness data from the BI can be recorded either directly to a laptop installed with the full ROMDAS System or on to a Pocket PC with the miniROMDAS System. A well calibrated BI will easily rival or exceed the accuracy of other Class 3 roughness profilers, including some accelerometer based equipment.
The BI excels in rough, unpaved or wet conditions where laser based profiling equipment is unusable. Thanks to its low minimum speed (10km/h) it can also be operated in areas of high congestion unlike some accelerometer based equipment.
- Roughness (IRI)
- High resolution, high reliability optical encoder
- Designed for use in some of the most extreme and rugged road conditions
- Low minimum operating speed (10km/h)
- Very low cost compared to vehicle mounted accelerometer based equipment
- Simple design allows for quick and easy installation and full serviceability in the field